This week’s recipe of the week is baked fish in foil.
This is one of my favorite recipes and can be made with a variety of different types of fish, but for this specific recipe, I am going to use tilapia.
And not only is it absolutely delicious, it extremely healthy and full of healthy fats and vitamins.
What you need to know about this recipe
For the recipe, tin foil will be used to wrap the fish and vegetables.
The vegetables used are more of a personal preference than anything. I personally love using zucchini, carrots, tomatoes, onions, and garlic.
If you have other preferences of vegetables, feel free to try them out.
I would personally avoid potatoes and celery as they do not cook very well with the fish, but besides those two you can choose the vegetables you prefer.
After you have all your vegetables (I also like to use basil and cilantro as well, along with some paprika, turmeric, and a little bit of red pepper for a spicy kick), cut out a rectangular piece of tin foil (about 12’’ by 24’’) and simply put the tilapia in it with the vegetables on top.
Although it may seem complicated to do, it is really quite simple.
Simply place the fish and vegetables in the middle of the tin foil.
Then pull up the sides of the tin foil securely surrounding the fish while leaving a little tent-like area on top so that the tin foil is not touching the top of the fish.
You want to make sure that the tin foil surrounds the fish securely so that no steam and juices leak out when cooking.
The fish and veggies are cooked by the steam so it is important that everything is wrapped fairly tightly with no “air holes”.
After that, all you have to do is put in the oven for 15 minutes and you have a delicious meal.
Listed below are the directions and ingredients for the baked fish in foil recipe of the week
So here are the ingredients needed:
– 4 tilapia filets of about 5 ounces each
– 1 zucchini
– 2 red vine tomatoes (chopped)
– 2 red onions (sliced very thin)
– 5 cloves of garlic (sliced very thin)
– 8 baby carrots (sliced)
– 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
– ½ cup of basil leaves (chopped)
– ½ cup of cilantro leaves (chopped)
– 1 lemon (juiced)
– 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
– 1 teaspoon of oregano
– Pinch of salt of salt and pepper
– Red pepper (optional – use if you want a spicy kick)
Baked Fish Recipe Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the sliced red onions, sliced garlic cloves, sliced baby carrots, sliced zucchini, chopped tomatoes, slice red bell pepper, oregano, chopped basil, and chopped cilantro. Sprinkle the lemon juice and olive oil over the vegetables and add the salt and pepper (and red pepper if you decided you want a spicy kick).
3. Cut out 4 rectangular pieces of tin foil of about 12’’ by 24’’.
4. For each piece of tin foil, fold the tin foil in half and place one of the tilapia filets in the center. Add some of the vegetables around the fish as well as on top of the fish (make sure to divide the vegetables up evenly into 4 different portions for each of the tilapia filets).
5. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the vegetables and fish.
6. Wrap up the foil around the fish and make sure to fold in all the sides of the tin foil up and over the fish, making a shallow tent over it so that the top of the foil is not touching the fish itself. This will allow the fish to cook better and be more flavorful.
In summary, you want the tin foil to be completely surrounding the fish and vegetables so that no air can get through while still leaving a little bit of space between the top of the fish and the tin foil.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 for the remaining filets of fish.
8. Place the foil packets on a baking sheet and place in the oven for approximately 15-20 minutes. If the fish looks pink or translucent-looking, it is not done cooking and needs more time. After the 15-20 minutes is up, you can un-wrap a tiny corner of the foil in the oven and poke inside it with a knife or fork to make sure it is cooked and ready to serve. When the fish has baked through and flakes easily and has an opaque appearance, it is ready to serve.
And there you have it. A delicious meal cooked in about 30 minutes! I hope you enjoyed the recipe of the week.