Are you trying to decide if breastfeeding is right for you? Mothers around the world are divided over this issue, and the truth is that it is a personal choice that you have to make for yourself. If you are wondering if the benefits of breastfeeding for your child is truly worth it, consider these amazing benefits of breastfeeding babies:
The Benefits of Breastfeeding for Baby
- Advantage #1: Protection from common illnesses – The first breast milk your body makes is called colostrum. This liquid gold is very rich in nutrients your baby needs and also contains important antibodies that will keep your baby safe from disease and infection. These amazing benefits of breastfeeding cannot be replicated through formula. Although there have been great advances in infant formulas over the past decades, there is no way to synthetically replicate the immune benefits that comes from breast milk. Research has proven that breastfed babies have lower instances of meningitis, stomach viruses, ear infections, and lower respiratory diseases. When breastfed babies do get sick, the illness tends to be much milder than in formula-fed babies. There are numerous benefits of breastfeeding your child and according to research, breastfed babies tend to be healthier and more resistant to disease!
- Advantage #2: Long-term health benefits of breastfeeding babies – Breastfed babies grow into children that have lower risks of cancer, diabetes, Crohn’s disease, allergies, asthma, and inflammatory bowel disease throughout childhood. Breastfed babies tend to have much better health as they reap the health benefits of breastfeeding.
- Advantage #3: Decreased risk of SIDS – Although nobody really knows what causes Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, it has been proven that breastfeeding babies are less likely to die from this mysterious condition. This may be because breast milk is rich in omega-3 fatty acids that help the respiratory nerves develop better. It may also be because breast milk is easier to digest and is much more gentle on baby’s airways. Finally, it may be because breast milk has antibodies that help ward off chest infections. Regardless of the reasons, one the benefits of breastfeeding is to prevent SIDS death.
- Advantage #4: Increased IQ – Many studies have shown that children who were breastfed score better on intelligence tests and have higher IQs than their bottle-fed counterparts. An improved IQ is one of the benefits of breastfeeding your child.
- Advantage #5: Lower chance of childhood obesity – Babies being breast fed gain weight at a much slower rate than those on formula. This could be because breast milk has less insulin and more leptin than formula. It may also be because breastfed babies nurse until they are full and then turn away. This can contribute to much healthier eating impulses as they grow up and get older.
Health Benefits for Breastfeeding
While bottle-feeding may seem more convenient for you, it is hard to deny that the benefits of breastfeeding to your baby are more than worth the inconvenience involved. If it is possible, you should definitely consider breastfeeding your infant, at least for the first six months. By doing so, you are giving him the greatest possible chance at a healthy start to life as there are so many benefits of breastfeeding.
About the Author: Donna Moody is one of the pregnancy advisers for YouMayBeNext.com. She uses her experiences as a mother, teacher, and woman to help others get through their pregnancy successfully.
Like what you read? We would love a share :)
Other helpful articles you'll love