Health Benefits of Drinking Water
Throughout your life, I am sure that you have been told to drink water because it is healthier. But what are the health benefits of drinking water? Most people are severely dehydrated and are lacking adequate water consumption. Listed below are 10 health benefits of drinking water.
10 Benefits Of Drinking Water
1. Health benefit #1: Body temperature is regulated by water.
- Health benefits of drinking water include body temperature regulation by increasing or decreasing the amount of heat lost at the body surface. Ever wonder why your skin turns red in hot weather or during exercise? When body temperature rises, the skin’s blood vessels widen, which causes an increase in blood flow to the skin and enables more heat to be released into the environment. The opposite occurs in cold conditions. The blood vessels in the skin constrict, restricting blood flow near the surface and thus, conserving body heat.
2. Health benefit #2: Weight Loss – Drinking Water To Lose Weight
- Water has zero calories! If you are able to substitute your sugary beverages with water, you could be amazed at how much weight you may lose. Drinking water to lose weight is a great way to cut unnecessary calories from your diet. Try consuming a glass of water before every meal and you will see just how effective drinking water to lose weight can be.
3. Health benefit #3: A Healthier Heart
- By drinking water more often throughout the day, you can significantly reduce your risk for heart disease. In a study conducted at Loma Linda University, 8000 men and 12000 women ranging from ages 38-100 showed that men and women drinking 5 or more cups of water per day had a 41% chance in women and 54% chance in men were less likely to have a heart attack then those drinking 2 glasses of water or less per day.
4. Health benefit #4: Get An Energy Boost With Water
- Health benefits of drinking water include an energy boost! Dehydration can make you feel fatigued. Water is involved with the transportation of oxygen and other essential nutrients to your cells. By drinking water adequately, your heart does not have to work as hard to pump blood to the body. So if you are feeling drained or just feel completely fatigued, drink some water, and let water perform its many miracles.
5. Health benefit #5: Decrease Stress Levels
- All your organs need water to function properly and when adequate fluids are not given to the body’s vital organs, the effects can be very bad. Studies have shown that dehydration can increase the presence of the hormone cortisol. By being adequately hydrated, your stress hormones, such as cortisol, will be lowered. Hydration is one of many great stress relief techniques.
6. Health benefit #6: Help Build Muscle!
- Yeah this is not a typo. By drinking water you can increase the chances of building more muscle. Water helps with the lubrication of joints as the joint fluid, called synovial fluid, is made primarily of water. Lifting puts a lot of stress on your joints and by having adequate lubrication, you will prevent injuries. Water also prevents cramping. By drinking water, you are enabling yourself to be able to workout for longer and harder without getting injured hitting the infamous “wall.”
7. Health benefit #7: Help Your Digestion!
- Benefits of drinking water include best digestion! Water is key to helping digestion. Water plays a vital role in passing waste throughout your digestive tract. When dehydrated, your colon will be left dry making the passing of waste to be very difficult.
8. Health benefit #8: Water Reduces Kidney Stones
- Kidney stones are the salts and minerals that form crystals in your urine. By staying hydrated, the water dilutes the salts and minerals, thus making it impossible for kidney stones to form.
9. Health benefit #9: Help Remove Harmful Toxins From Your Body
- Water is used by the body to help flush out toxins and waste products from the body and transports nutrients where they are needed
10. Health benefit #10: Blood Circulation
- Proper hydration is crucial to a healthy circulatory system. Blood consists of about 90% water and if blood lacks water it will make you prone to clots and fatty deposits. Drinking water can help people with hypertension lower their blood pressure!
There are so many benefits to drinking water. There are a lot more than 1o health benefits of drinking water, but I found these 10 benefits to be the most important. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave a comment, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
References: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/155/9/827.abstract http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/water-stress-reduction